Construction on the Columban seminary in Bellevue, Nebraska proceeded throughout late 1921 and the first half of 1922, under the direction of Columban Father Edward J. McCarthy. An illustrious dedication ceremony took place on June 29th, 1922, led by Archbishop Jeremiah J. Harty of Omaha, and included dozens of Catholic clergy, nuns, and other religious, along with many other dignitaries.
After some problematic negotiations, the Columbans finally managed to buy the Bellevue campus in mid-1921, with plans to construct a seminary there. Archbishop Jeremiah J. Harty of Omaha led a ceremony for the laying of the cornerstone of the Columban seminary on September 8th, 1921, and construction began in earnest. The Columbans were now on their way to a permanent facility for recruiting seminarians and expanding vocations in the United States.
New Video: 100 Points of Light - 1920. After a great deal of preparation the Columban Fathers left their familiar surroundings to fulfill the mission in China for which they were commissioned.
In 1919 the Columban Fathers began shaping their organization.
The story of the Columban missionaries began in 1918 with Society co-founder Fr. Edward Galvin’s dream of becoming a missionary to China. That dream guided Fr. Galvin from Ireland to the United States and the founding of the Missionary Society of St. Columban.