The official opening of the Columban Mission Center will take place on October 8, 2011, at 5:00 p.m. At the celebration, we will give thanks for the Mission Center in the Eucharist, asking God to bless our community, these structures and the activities to take place in them. The Most Rev. Armando X. Ochoa, Bishop of El Paso, will be our main celebrant.
The Columban Mission Center, El Paso, Texas
The Missionary Society of Saint Columban was founded by Father Edward Galvin (later, Bishop Galvin) and Father John Blowick in 1918 with the blessing of Pope Benedict XV. Although the mission of the Society at its founding focused on evangelization in China, Columbans soon began to respond to requests for help from local churches in other parts of Asia, Latin America, the Pacific and Middle East. Today the Columban spirit of mission has at its heart the restoration of a healthy relationship between humanity and Creation. Crossing boundaries of country, language and culture, we are available to help the local churches become more missionary and to engage in the critical issues facing our world from the perspective of our Catholic faith and social teaching.
Columbans arrived at El Paso on Mission Sunday, October 20, 1996, and soon extended their presence to both sides of the U.S./Mexico border. We purchased the property for the present Mission Center in 2008 and, after extensive renovations, began to host groups and events in 2009.
The Mission Center welcomes all those dedicated to social justice, ecological responsibility and peace in the Borderlands community, as well as those from other parts of the country who desire to draw near to the reality of this region and its people in a context of encounter, dialogue and conversion. The Mission Center is available to host and organize events related to the mission of the Church, especially in the areas of ecological justice, immigration, dialogue and human rights.