Learn about Columban Mission at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress!

March 2, 2012

Upcoming Dates
March 13 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. CCAO at Catholic University Career Fair
March 15 Deadline to apply for summer advocacy internship with the CCAO in Washington, DC! www.columban.org/get-involved
March 18 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Donor event in Washington, DC http://columban.org/dc
March 22-25 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress www.recongress.org
March 23-26 Ecumenical Advocacy Days: Is THIS the fast I seek: Economy, Livelihood and our National Priorities – Register NOW – www.advocacydays.org
March 28 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. CCAO at American University Career Fair

Representatives for the Missionary Society of St. Columban will be exhibiting at the 2012 Los Angeles Religious Education Congress. The event is scheduled to take place from March 22-25 at the Anaheim Convention Center. First held in 1968, the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress is the largest annual gathering of its kind in the world. According to the Congress website, its purpose is to “teach more about the Catholic faith as well as to advance personal growth.”

Our exhibition booth will feature materials on the many programs that the Columbans offer. There are programs suitable for all age groups. One of the programs we will be sharing with fair attendees is Journey with Jesus, our Mission Education Program designed for elementary schools and Religious Education classes in parishes. The program has curriculum for each grade starting with pre-kindergarten through 8th grade. Each curriculum has a unique theme that brings world realities and the work of missionaries to the student learning experience. The primary goals of the program are to give students a deeper understanding of their baptismal call to mission, develop global awareness and a sense of interconnectedness of all creation, and encourage students to reflect and become active participants in creating God’s kingdom on Earth. Each unit has objectives, the scriptural basis for the lessons and quotes from Church documents that provide rationale for the lessons. Material is interactive and diverse and includes prayers, hands-on activities, music, videos, and at-home connections designed to involve family members.

Other featured programs will include:

• Migration: One Human Family- an adult series that relates Catholic Social Teaching to migration
  • Culture: The Web of Life- explores cultural diversity and traditions in the world today and how they support daily life.
  • Standing with People Living in Poverty- examines Catholic Social Teachings related to worldwide poverty and the dignity of all God’s people.
  • Interfaith Dialogue: A Bridge to Peace- Be challenged to build bridges that promote religious freedom and understanding through dialogue and mutual respect.
  • As Water in the Desert- a program filmed where Columban missionaries work in Ciudad Juárez (near the U.S.-Mexico border) that relates our baptismal call to mission to “Welcoming the Stranger.”
  • Summer Mission Experience- series designed for vacation Bible school students; children will journey to other lands and discover their baptismal call to walk in the footsteps of Jesus, meet world neighbors, discover the beauty of other cultures and hear the stories of missionaries, saints and heroes.
  • Voices of the Earth- introduces viewers to the people of Midsalip in the Philippines.
  • Voices of Women- a justice and peace lesson for youth and young adults
  • Walking from the Shadows- a high school and adult program designed to heighten awareness of migrant workers and their rights
  • In the Shadow of Dabajian Mountain- a program and video that teaches the importance of respect and preservation of all cultures.

If you will be attending the event, be sure to stop by our booth, Columban Mission Awareness Resources #585. We can tell you more about all our wonderful programs. We will also have information available about initiatives of the Columban Center for Advocacy & Outreach including advocacy internships in Washington DC, domestic and international volunteer opportunities, and mission exposure trips. And don’t forget to let us know that you found us because you saw this article in our e-newsletter! To learn more about the Religious Education Congress, please visit www.recongress.org. To learn more about any of these programs, visit our website’s Mission Education section or call us toll-free at 877-299-1920 and ask for Connie Wacha.