Mission Education Programs

Here are the descriptions of the Columban Mission Education video programs currently available. If you have questions, call us toll-free at 877/299-1920 or e-mail us at cwacha@columban.org. The videos are in VHS format unless otherwise noted as being available on DVD.

In the Shadow of Dabajian Mountain
Columban Father Tom Browning serves in the mountains of Taiwan with the Atayal people, working to preserve their rich culture. This 17-minute video beautifully portrays the life and gifts of the people as they work within the Catholic Church to celebrate their culture and to live their faith.

A feast for the eyes and soul, In the Shadow of Dabajian Mountain teaches the importance of respect and preservation of all cultures.

This two-unit program format, intended for high school students and adults, features a leader’s manual, journaling and activities.

Click here to order. Available in VHS or DVD.

Walking from the Shadows
More than 350,000 migrant workers have come from throughout Asia to find work in Taiwan. This is their story, but it is also the story of migrant workers the world over.

Meet these workers who come to the Hope Workers’ Center to find refuge and help when their rights have been violated. Experience the work of Columban missionaries as they minister to the workers and be moved by their suffering and situations.

Vinny’s New Day

This unit of lessons, especially developed for preschool and kindergarten students, features the themes of meeting children of other lands, learning about baptism and that we belong to the family of God, meeting Catholic missionaries and knowing we are called to love like Jesus, and discovering ways that we can love like Jesus.
The Vinny’s New Day program features:

• Two-lesson program for parishes
  • Five-lesson program for schools
  • The award-winning video
    “Vinny’s New Day”
  • “It’s a Brand New Day” music CD
  • Learning centers
  • Activities
  • Worksheets
  • Wall charts
  • Parent letters
  • Prayer experience

Click here to order.

Journey With Jesus
Journey With Jesus teaches your students about different cultures, the importance of peace-building, care for the environment, respect for other faiths and understanding and respecting all of God’s people.

Journey With Jesus is a supplementary mission education curriculum consisting of five lessons for each grade from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The basis of each lesson includes quotes from Scripture, Church documents and Catholic Social Teaching.

Click here to order.

Parish Edition Journey With Jesus

Journey With Jesus is a supplementary mission education curriculum consisting of one lesson for each grade from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. The basis of each lesson includes quotes from Scripture, Church documents and Catholic Social Teaching.

Click here to order.

Vision for Justice

In this youth-ministry program, young people will come to understand the causes of poverty and discover ways they can be a voice for the poor and those living at the margins of society. The problems of world hunger also are addressed as Vision for Justice teaches about hunger and encourages youth to foster ways to eliminate it.
This program features:

• Two-lesson program for parishes
  • Five-lesson program for schools
  • Additional activities
  • Journaling
  • Videos
  • Service outreach
  • Prayer activities

Click here to order.

As Water in the Desert
This video, filmed where Columban missionaries work near the U.S.-Mexico border near Ciudad Juárez, challenges all baptized Christians to realize that by virtue of baptism, we are all called to mission.
The two-unit As Water in the Desert program, intended for high school students and adults, is divided into two two-hour sessions: “Our Call through Baptism” and “Welcoming the Stranger.”
Worksheets, activities and prayer resources are included. The video is available in both English and Spanish.

Voices of the Earth and Voices of Women
Voices of the Earth introduces viewers to the people of the township of Midsalip in the Philippines.

The people work in education, organic farming and basic healthcare services. As followers of Jesus, Midsalip’s people are working for the life of the world.

The program features a leader’s manual, resource packet, prayer resources and enrichment activities.

Voices of Women, filmed on the streets of Manila, shows the Gospel alive in the Dakota district of Malate as women struggle to protect their homes and nurture their families. This is their story of women gathering, praying and joining together to work for change.

These videos are intended for high school students and adults.

Escaping War, Serving God
This dramatic portrait tells the story of how Nguyen Xuan Tien escaped war in his native Vietnam, as one of the many “boat people,” and started his journey toward becoming a Columban missionary priest.
Available in English and Vietnamese.

One of the People
Four women from different countries come together as Columban lay missionaries on the island of Taiwan as they answer God’s call. Discover their challenges and blessings as these women share their experiences, stories and reflections.

Click here to order.

From the Ends of the Earth

This video teaches awareness of our baptismal call to continue the mission of Jesus. The Eucharist is our model for living mission in our everyday lives. Part I is titled “The Call to Mission” and Part II is called “Living the Mission.”

The From the Ends of the Earth program is designed for Adult RCIA candidates. Worksheets, prayer resources and a leader’s manual are included. Available in English and Spanish.

Come Journey with Jesus: A Summer Mission Experience

Through this summer Bible school experience, children will journey to other lands and discover their baptismal call to walk in the footsteps of Jesus, meet world neighbors, discover the beauty of other cultures and hear the stories of missionaries, saints and heroes.

This program is designed for vacation Bible school students
K-6. Come Journey with Jesus, presented in a five-day format (3½ hours a day), features learning centers, posters, maps, videos, games and activities, catechist in-service materials, prayer resources and a program director’s manual.

Click here to order.

Missionaries of the People
This 20-minute award-winning video traces the beginnings of the Columban Society, founded in 1918 in Ireland, in the United States as Columban missionaries reach out to their sisters and brothers in other lands and cultures.

The theme of the partnership of all Christians in answering the baptismal call to mission resonates throughout this video intended for high school students and adults.

Click here to order.

Click to see more Mission Education programs

Print