Dream Act

| September 17, 2010 Print

DREAM ACT ACTION ALERT

Ask your Senator to support the DREAM Act

BACKGROUND

The DREAM Act (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act9, S. 729) creates a path to citizenship for undocumented students who have entered the United States before age 16. They will be given provisional residency status if they have been present in the United States for at least five years immediately preceding the enactment of this act, are a person of good moral character, have been admitted to an institution of higher education or the military and have a high school diploma or its equivalent. After completing two years of higher education or military service, they will be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Despite receiving their diplomas, over 65,000 undocumented high school graduates find themselves being denied higher education each year due to the inability to become citizens. Without furthering their education, these students are left at a roadblock in their lives and may never be able to pursue their dreams in the country they call home. While some are able to pursue higher education, they will not be able to find employment upon completion of their degrees. As you can imagine, this discourages many and denies us the benefit of their talents and abilities in the work force.

The Catholic Church teaches that justice for immigrants is a moral imperative and upholds the human dignity of persons who are in the United States, no matter what their legal status. The Church is a strong supporter of the DREAM Act, as are Columbans.  We recognize the suffering of these young people who, through no fault of their own, are denied access to legal status in this country and an opportunity to continue their education.  Pope Benedict XVI asks for immigration policy “with a view to safeguarding the needs and rights of individual migrants and their families.” The DREAM act honors the needs and rights of young people brought to this country that they now consider home.

The DREAM Act could come to the Senate floor as early as next Wednesday (September 22). This is the crucial moment for DREAM Act to move forward.  The time to act is NOW.

ACTION REQUESTED

Please call your Senator TODAY and ask him/her to support the DREAM act.

For contact information for the senate, access: www.senate.gov

WHEN YOU CALL – SAMPLE SCRIPT

Ask for the Immigration Staffer.

“I am calling to ask Senator _________ to support S. 729 the DREAM Act. The 65,000 undocumented youth graduating each year deserve the opportunity for a path to citizenship. “

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Michelle Knight mmknight@columban.org; 301-565-4547

Print