Even basic supplies are in short supply

Cristina Estrada
October 14, 2010

Our program includes giving school supplies to the youth and children who need them all year round. My library is open throughout the year, and four days a week the children come to do their homework, for tutoring, and also to get any supplies they may need.

Let me explain a little about the scholarship program:

• For children starting kindergarten, we help to pay for the registration, uniform, shoes and the supplies needed.
  • Similarly for the youth in elementary: registration, uniforms, shoes, backpack, supplies. Middle grades is the same.
  • But for young high school students we cover registration, uniforms, shoes, equipment, and each month they pay tuition fees.
  • For youth attending university we pay tuition each semester, and help them to buy the books they need.

The most important thing is that thanks to all our donors we can help many children, so please tell those people who donate that with $50, you can buy many things. The great advantage we have here is the dollar can buy more here, and even more when I buy wholesale.

The supplies needed are similar to what is used in the United States: notebooks, pens and pencils, calculators, backpacks and the like.

This is only the material that children and youth need. Besides these supplies high school and university students need to purchase books that are not available in the schools and we help them purchase the books.