We Walk with the Lord
on the Way of the Cross
- We walk with the Lord on the Way of the Cross
- Prayer to begin our Way of the Cross
- 1 Jesus is Condemned to Death
- 2 Jesus Takes Up His Cross
- 3 Jesus Falls the First Time
- 4 Jesus Meets His Mother
- 5 Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus to carry his Cross
- 6 Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
- 7 Jesus Falls a Second Time
- 8 Jesus Comforts the Women of Jerusalem
- 9 Jesus Falls a Third Time
- 10 Jesus is Stripped of his Garments
- 11 Jesus is Nailed to the Cross
- 12 Jesus Dies on the Cross
- 13 Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross
- 14 Jesus is Placed in the Tomb
- Final Prayer: Christ is Risen!
We praise you, O Christ,
and we bless you
Because by your Cross
You have redeemed the world.
Lord, you are Son of God
and son of Mary,
Like us in all things but sin.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on us.
Your mother, the handmaid of the Lord,
Who accepts God’s will in all things,
Now knows that your hour has come.
She accompanies you even to the cross.
She sees you suffering,
And she suffers with you.
So the prophecy of Simeon is fulfilled:
You are a sign that is rejected,
Destined for the fall and the rise of many,
And you see the sword of suffering
Pierce your mother’s heart also.
Lord, your mother is here with you
At the hour of your death.
May she pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death.
I have avoided you by ignoring the poor,
I have turned from those who suffer.
As I contemplate the sword that pierced
Your mother’s heart, I ask forgiveness.
Lord Jesus, be merciful to me, a sinner!
By Patrick Sayles, SSC, The Prayer Trust