We Walk with the Lord
on the Way of the Cross
- We walk with the Lord on the Way of the Cross
- Prayer to begin our Way of the Cross
- 1 Jesus is Condemned to Death
- 2 Jesus Takes Up His Cross
- 3 Jesus Falls the First Time
- 4 Jesus Meets His Mother
- 5 Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus to carry his Cross
- 6 Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
- 7 Jesus Falls a Second Time
- 8 Jesus Comforts the Women of Jerusalem
- 9 Jesus Falls a Third Time
- 10 Jesus is Stripped of his Garments
- 11 Jesus is Nailed to the Cross
- 12 Jesus Dies on the Cross
- 13 Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross
- 14 Jesus is Placed in the Tomb
- Final Prayer: Christ is Risen!
We praise you, O Christ,
and we bless you
Because by your Cross
You have redeemed the world.
Lord, your face is bruised with blows
An object of scorn for our sakes.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on us.
As you move uphill you struggle and sweat.
You have no looks to attract us.
You are despised and rejected,
A man of sorrows, a figure of grief,
An object of score, a thing of derision;
So disfigured you look, so bruised,
A face from which people turn away.
Yet this is the face of God.
We picture Veronica coming close to you,
Gazing into your face, wiping it tenderly,
To comfort you in your distress.
Lord, how often do I hide my face away,
Turning from your gaze of deepest love,
Ashamed to look at you, or come close
On account of my unworthiness?
For the times I fail to see you
In those who suffer and need compassion,
Before your bruised and bloodied face
I ask forgiveness.
Lord Jesus, be merciful to me, a sinner!
By Patrick Sayles, SSC, The Prayer Trust