Movements and changes continue in the Philippines, at this time of celebration of 100 years of the Society of St. Columban. By God's grace we continue our mission of spreading God's love, especially with those on the margins.
Our story of the Missionary Sisters of St. Columban traditionally begins with the words, "It was because two people shared a vision and answered a similar call that the Missionary Sisters of St. Columban came to be." Those two people were Fr. John Blowick and Frances Moloney.
Anniversaries frequently have symbols associated with them like silver for 25 and gold for 50.
The Missionary Society of St. Columban was founded in 1918 for evangelization in China. The first Columban Fathers went to China in 1920 and began work in Hanyang. The Columban Sisters began work in China in 1926.
Richard Ranaghan was born in Killough, Co. Down, Ireland, in 1889. He was ordained in 1914 and ministered in the Diocese of Down and Connor until he joined the Missionary Society of St. Columban in 1917.
In 1954 Fr. Edward MacElroy became the last Columban of that era to leave China.
It is truly a joy for the Missionary Society of St. Columban to be celebrating our centenary. We give thanks to God and all those who have supported us.
Since our founding in 1918, the Society has published a magazine, first under the title of The Far East, while it is now known as Columban Mission.